Gardening is wonderful for the mind, body, and soul. However, starting and maintaining a garden can feel a bit daunting when you’re new to growing plants, flowers, herbs, and vegetables — especially when you live in an area that experiences four seasons. Fortunately, the internet has lots of great information to help you find your green thumb and plan your first garden. Check out these resources to get started!
Explore the Benefits of Gardening
In addition to having lots of fresh vegetables and herbs to enjoy throughout the year, gardening benefits your mind, body, and even your home.
- There are many advantages to starting a garden, as gardening boosts your physical, mental, and emotional health — while also helping to fight climate change.
- When growing your own fruits, herbs, and veggies at home, you’ll almost always have ingredients on hand for a quick yet healthy meal.
- Since gardens beautify your home and lawn, they can also help to boost your property's appraisal value.
- Search “fertilizer service near me” to find a lawn fertilization company to give your lawn some extra attention.
Guide to Gardening
Plan a Beautiful Vegetable Garden
Ready to grow your own crops at home? Here are some of the steps you’ll need to take as you select your crops, plan your garden layout, and test your soil.
- Choose the best crops for your gardening zone and season, and learn how to grow vegetables throughout the year. Kale, broccoli, turnips, and cabbage can all be grown in the winter, and some types of lettuce will grow into autumn.
- Plan your garden layout. Common options include four square layouts, rows, square foot garden lots, blocks, and vertical gardens.
- Test your soil and take steps to boost the soil if necessary.
Plant and Care for Your Crops
Now for the fun part: Planting and caring for your crops! Here you’ll learn how to plant your crops, maintain your garden, and keep your plants healthy.
- Stock up on gardening tools such as gloves, pruning shears, loppers, and a garden fork.
- Water your plants with a high-quality lightweight garden hose from Teknor Apex Company!
- Learn how to care for your garden. Tips include examining your crops before planting, inspecting the garden for insect damage, and cleaning out the garden bed in the fall.
- Plant and water your crops on a regular basis. The Royal Horticultural Society shares tips for choosing a watering method, using water economically, and determining how much water to apply.
- If you’re growing herbs in your garden, you can find additional tips for growing and maintaining an herb garden at home.
Even if your first attempt at gardening doesn’t go quite as well as you’d hoped, you’ll have plenty more opportunities to find your green thumb and reap the many benefits of growing your own vegetables and herbs. If you keep it up, you’ll be a seasoned gardener in no time at all!